In an emergency

In an emergency

Explore the frequently asked questions below to learn more about the services available to you. If you're unable to find the information you need, contact us and we'll ensure your query is directed to the relevant service.

If you have a physical injury or are experiencing severe symptoms such as fever, pain, vomiting, bleeding, shortness of breath, or have taken an overdose, you should go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department in Truro:
Royal Cornwall Hospital (RCH), Treliske, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LQ

You can call Glasney Lodge on 01326 253503 (3503 from internal phones at Glasney) or Campus Security on 07768557779 if you need help from campus staff or want them to call you an ambulance.

Call 999 for an ambulance if you’re off campus.

If you are feeling suicidal, or have or urgent mental health needs please seek immediate help.

Go to the local A&E department, if you can’t get there, call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

If you need some support right now, but don't want to go to A&E, contact the Samaritans on freephone 116 123, they're open 24 hours and are there to listen. You can also email them on

If you are not in immediate need and would like a chat to the Living Support Team then please raise an enquiry through Compass and someone will make contact with you.

If you are feeling suicidal and that you are immediate risk to yourself please contact your GP and explain how you are feeling.

You can also access the local Single Point of Access for Mental Health on 0845 207 77 11 (normal office hours) to speak with the Community Mental Health Team.

If you want to speak with this team for urgent mental health advice or support please call the Home Treatment Team on 0845 2303 902 

If it is outside your GP’s opening hours please call the NHS Helpline on 111 or call 999 for the emergency services.

You can also call The Samaritans 24 hours a day on 08457 90 90 90.

If you are not in immediate need and would like a chat to the Living Support Team then please email or call Student Services on 01326 370460.

If you are feeling suicidal and/or you have physical or mental health needs please contact your Doctor ASAP. If it is outside your GP’s opening hours please call the NHS Helpline on 111 or call 999 for the emergency services. You can also call The Samaritans 24 hours a day on 08457 90 90 90 if you just wish to speak with someone about how you are feeling.

You can also find support and advice at the following organisations and charities:

If you are not in immediate need and would like to contact our Wellbeing services, please complete our secure, confidential online form to allow us to assess your needs. Please visit Compass Online and follow the instructions below to access the Wellbeing Appointment Form:

  1. Use your university username and password to login to the Compass Online portal.
  2. Select ‘Log New Enquiries’ under the Enquiries section of the menu on the left of the screen.
  3. Select ‘Wellbeing Appointment Form’ from the category menu (you can use the filter to narrow your search).
  4. Complete the form with as much detail as possible and click send.

Please note that the more information you provide, the better we can identify the most appropriate support.

You may also wish to make an enquiry regarding your concerns by contacting The Compass team (by email to or calling 01326 370460) and they can signpost you to the correct department.

If you have immediate concerns about the safety or wellbeing of someone else (or, for that matter, yourself) you should contact the emergency services on 999.

If your concerns aren't of a serious or immediate nature, you can log an enquiry through Compass and you will be directed to the Living Support Team.  After that, a member of the Team will contact you to discuss your concerns. 

If someone else's behaviour is affecting you or anyone else, the Living Support Team can advise you on how you can try to manage the situation. 

If you want to make a complaint about another student's behaviour, again you can discuss this with a member of staff from the Living Support Team.

To contact Living Support log an enquiry through Compass or email

There’s lots of support available, if you think you might need some help – don’t hesitate to ask.

Our on-campus Wellbeing Service offers two main types of support, counselling and mental health.

Our Counsellors offer confidential support for students experiencing difficulties with their psychological or emotional wellbeing. They’re qualified practitioners who aim to help you cope more effectively with any personal and/or emotional difficulties that may arise during your time at University.

Our Mental Health team provide expert advice and support on a range of mental health difficulties. Team members are registered mental health professionals, who can help you consider their needs and support options, and provide advice and guidance.

Get in touch with us to discuss support if:
•    You have a mental health difficulty that has lasted for a year or is likely to last for a year (e.g. anxiety disorders such as panic, social anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder; eating difficulties; depression; bipolar disorder; personality disorders; psychoses).
•    You have a mental health difficulty and are taking prescribed medication
•    You are experiencing difficulties with your psychological or emotional wellbeing which is impacting your ability to study and cope at University

If you feel that the Wellbeing Service is right for you, complete our Wellbeing Appointment Form on Compass Online, you’ll need your university username and password. For guidance on how to access the form, please visit:

A member of our team will be in touch within three working days (or longer during peak times) to discuss options for your support, based on your current concerns.

You can also email or call us on 01326 370460.

If your concerns need more immediate attention, go to 'I need help in an emergency'.

If you just need a safe space to talk, we also have a service called ‘Time to Talk’. It’s for those who don’t need specialist support, but might have homesickness, experienced a relationship break up, have problems with housemates or are feeling stressed with course work or exams. You can book a Time to Talk session by logging into the Compass Online. For further information visit:

Students can see a doctor at the Penryn Campus, or if you live in Falmouth, you can register at a nearby surgery.

To see the doctor at the Student Health Centre at the Penryn Campus, you need to register with the Penryn Surgery first, and then book an appointment. To make an appointment, contact Penryn Surgery on 01326 372502, stating that you are a student at Falmouth.

Doctor sessions - Student Health Centre, Penryn Campus (opposite the Stannary)
Monday 8.30am – 11.30am
Tuesday 8.30am – 11.30am
Wednesday 3.00pm – 5.00pm
Thursday 3.00pm – 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 11.30am

Local surgeries
Penryn Surgery, Saracen Way,
Penryn TR10 8HX
Tel: 01326 372502

Falmouth Health Centre, Trevaylor Road,
Falmouth, TR11 2LH
Tel: 01326 210090

Trescobeas Surgery, Trescobeas Road,
Falmouth, TR11 2UN
Tel: 01326 315615

Westover Surgery, Western Terrace,
Falmouth, TR11 4QJ
Tel: 01326 212120

To register at Westover, go to the new patients section on their website. You will need photo ID and proof of being a resident in Falmouth will be helpful.

Not found the information you need? Contact us.

Loading chat...