GP Local Services & Staying Well

GP Local Services & Staying Well

Explore the frequently asked questions below to learn more about the services available to you. If you're unable to find the information you need, contact us and we'll ensure your query is directed to the relevant service.

There is no need to register with a dentist in the same way as with a GP because you are not bound to a catchment area. However, many dental practices have limited spaces, so you may have to join a waiting list until a space becomes available.

If you think you need urgent treatment for a tooth or gum problem and you already have a dentist, you should contact them on their usual number.

If you are not registered with an NHS dentist and require routine dental care, please contact the Devon and Cornwall Dental Helpline on 01392 822348 or email

However, if you have a dental emergency, call the NHS dental helpline on 01872 354375 and an answerphone message will provide you with information on how to obtain emergency dental treatment. Alternatively, call NHS 111 for further advice.

If you have a physical injury or are experiencing severe symptoms such as fever, pain, vomiting, bleeding, shortness of breath, or have taken an overdose, you should go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department in Truro:
Royal Cornwall Hospital (RCH), Treliske, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LQ

You can call Glasney Lodge on 01326 253503 (3503 from internal phones at Glasney) or Campus Security on 07768557779 if you need help from campus staff or want them to call you an ambulance.

Call 999 for an ambulance if you’re off campus.

If you are feeling suicidal, or have or urgent mental health needs please seek immediate help.

Go to the local A&E department, if you can’t get there, call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

If you need some support right now, but don't want to go to A&E, contact the Samaritans on freephone 116 123, they're open 24 hours and are there to listen. You can also email them on

If you are not in immediate need and would like a chat to the Living Support Team then please raise an enquiry through Compass and someone will make contact with you.

Trust your instincts. Someone who has meningitis or septicaemia could become seriously ill very quickly. Get medical help immediately if you suspect meningitis or septicaemia.

he first symptoms are usually fever, vomiting, headache and feeling unwell. Limb pain, pale skin, and cold hands and feet often appear earlier than the rash, neck stiffness, dislike of bright lights and confusion. - See more at:

There’s lots of support available, if you think you might need some help – don’t hesitate to ask.

Our on-campus Wellbeing Service offers two main types of support, counselling and mental health.

Our Counsellors offer confidential support for students experiencing difficulties with their psychological or emotional wellbeing. They’re qualified practitioners who aim to help you cope more effectively with any personal and/or emotional difficulties that may arise during your time at University.

Our Mental Health team provide expert advice and support on a range of mental health difficulties. Team members are registered mental health professionals, who can help you consider their needs and support options, and provide advice and guidance.

Get in touch with us to discuss support if:
•    You have a mental health difficulty that has lasted for a year or is likely to last for a year (e.g. anxiety disorders such as panic, social anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder; eating difficulties; depression; bipolar disorder; personality disorders; psychoses).
•    You have a mental health difficulty and are taking prescribed medication
•    You are experiencing difficulties with your psychological or emotional wellbeing which is impacting your ability to study and cope at University

If you feel that the Wellbeing Service is right for you, complete our Wellbeing Appointment Form on Compass Online, you’ll need your university username and password. For guidance on how to access the form, please visit:

A member of our team will be in touch within three working days (or longer during peak times) to discuss options for your support, based on your current concerns.

You can also email or call us on 01326 370460.

If your concerns need more immediate attention, go to 'I need help in an emergency'.

If you just need a safe space to talk, we also have a service called ‘Time to Talk’. It’s for those who don’t need specialist support, but might have homesickness, experienced a relationship break up, have problems with housemates or are feeling stressed with course work or exams. You can book a Time to Talk session by logging into the Compass Online. For further information visit:

Students can see a doctor at the Penryn Campus, or if you live in Falmouth, you can register at a nearby surgery.

To see the doctor at the Student Health Centre at the Penryn Campus, you need to register with the Penryn Surgery first, and then book an appointment. To make an appointment, contact Penryn Surgery on 01326 372502, stating that you are a student at Falmouth.

Doctor sessions - Student Health Centre, Penryn Campus (opposite the Stannary)
Monday 8.30am – 11.30am
Tuesday 8.30am – 11.30am
Wednesday 3.00pm – 5.00pm
Thursday 3.00pm – 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 11.30am

Local surgeries
Penryn Surgery, Saracen Way,
Penryn TR10 8HX
Tel: 01326 372502

Falmouth Health Centre, Trevaylor Road,
Falmouth, TR11 2LH
Tel: 01326 210090

Trescobeas Surgery, Trescobeas Road,
Falmouth, TR11 2UN
Tel: 01326 315615

Westover Surgery, Western Terrace,
Falmouth, TR11 4QJ
Tel: 01326 212120

To register at Westover, go to the new patients section on their website. You will need photo ID and proof of being a resident in Falmouth will be helpful.

Yes. Please contact your local GP for advice. 

Local surgeries are:

The Penryn Surgery, 01326 372502 (Saracen Way, TR10 8HX)

The Falmouth Health Centre Practice, 01326 210090 (Trevaylor Road, TR11 2LH)

Trescobeas Surgery, 01326 315615 (Trescobeas Road, TR11 2UN)

More information can be found on the NHS Choices website

If you are concerned about your sexual health, need advice on contraception, or think you are pregnant, you can get advice from your GP.  Please also see for more information.

Not found the information you need? Contact us.

Loading chat...